Weekly Check In

Dan The Man

Da Big Guy
Staff member
I figured I'd start a thread for us all do a weekly check in to keep each other updated on how our diet/lifestyle changes are going. I'll start in the next post.

I'm going to start a format of:
  • Exercise
  • Diet
  • Conclusions
  • Goals
You don't have to follow it. It's just an easy way for me to remember to include everything.

Last edited:
Exercise:

My week started out good. I did a little under 2 miles walking on Monday. Tuesday morning, I woke up to a swollen foot and it hurt to step down on it. I tweaked a tendon in my foot again. This is the same spot I injured a couple years back and it's weak now so it re-injures in the snap of a finger. My best guess is my sneaker was tied a little to tight and didn't allow my foot to spread out completely when stepping down.

If I'd stayed off it, I would be healed by now but I was running around all week for friends so I didn't get a chance to rest it like I should have. It still hurts 6 days later. I'm hoping the fact that I stayed off it all weekend gets me back to walking by Tuesday-Wednesday.

You can see overall my stats suck for July. I really tanked over the last few weeks between the weather and from just being busy with bullshit stuff that keeps me from walking . This week was really bad due to the messed up foot.

mapmywalk-weekly.PNG

I really only have any 2 maybe 2.5 months of good walking weather before the snow starts coming down so I better step up my game.

Diet:

My diet has been even worse than my exercise. Between being on the road a lot eating convenience foods and not walking (which bums me out) my diet has been crap. I'm not even going to go into it but I need to turn it around.

Conclusions:

I backtracked on a lot of what I accomplished in May and June. I probably put back on a good 10 pounds plus picked back up a lot of my old bad habits of not eating well and slacking on exercise.

Goals for Next Week:

My primary goal for next week is to get my diet back on track. I'll start walking again as soon as my foot has healed enough; That will probably be mid-week. The biggest hurdle will be reining in the diet. Exercise is always fairly easy to fall back into as I enjoy getting out to walk.

I'd also like to start maintaining a day schedule. I'm so much of a night owl though it's hard to keep on schedule when stuff isn't scheduled.

I am checkin in saying Hi. Just want to encourage you all, to keep up those good days, before long they will ,out number the not so good ones., by years end, you will have a big improvement over all. I myself well I have been firmly told by my doctor to keep taking my iron pills everyday. I have a habit, missing doses, I am also on blood pressure medication which sort of got a bump up so my diet is important as well. I am up and down with it. I can think more clearly, and have a lot more energy now then I have had in the past. He is a good doctor, I just need to follow what I have been prescribed. Do any of you fall off your meds once in a while ? share only if you choose to. My blood pressure is much better with the new added pill, getting rid of all that salt build up.

Thanks @wildbirdy! :) I forgot about checking in. I'll have to bookmark this thread. As for skipping meds. I cannot skip my blood thinner so I'm pretty on top of taking all my meds daily. I have a weekly pill box that I setup every Friday which helps me to remember to take them.

I've been doing okay. Not been walking nearly as much as I should for a few reasons: My foot is still bothering me, I've been having a bear of a time sleeping at night so I don't wake up till 3-4 in the afternoon then by the time I have coffee, and do my work it's crunch time to get a walk in before dark. This week is a heat wave in New York. I did 2.25mi yesterday and sweated like a champ. Today had an air quality advisory as soon as I stepped out my air conditioning my breathing was labored so I wasn't going to push myself but I still got in a half mile by walking to the bank and around town a little bit (where there is street lights) after dark.

Tomorrow, I got for dental surgery so I expect that to take my out of the loop for walking for at least tomorrow maybe Wednesday too.

I'm really hoping to have a warm September so I can get a good solid month in walking as once it gets cold I'm useless for walking outside with my joint pain. A buddy of mine and I are planning on joining a gym for the winter. I'm only planning on using the treadmill and maybe the eplitical for now. If I go 3 time a week it will be a whole lot better than what I did last winter which was a big fat nothing.

Diet wise, I'm doing better but still not where I should be. Slowly but surely. :)

My goal for this week is to walk 5 miles. That isn't a whole lot compared to normal but my foot is still bothering me quite a bit. I have an appointment with my doctor today to get it checked out.

My sciatica flared up over the weekend. I forced myself to walk despite my back hurting a little bit. Walking made my back much worse but it got the swelling in my leg to go down quite a bit which is what I was really worried about. Sometimes you're dammed if you do dammed if you don't.

I also started on the nicotine patch again. I'm going to try and quit. Hopefully phase out all smoking by two weeks then follow the step process of the patch.

My goal for this week is to walk 5 miles. That isn't a whole lot compared to normal but my foot is still bothering me quite a bit. I have an appointment with my doctor today to get it checked out.

My sciatica flared up over the weekend. I forced myself to walk despite my back hurting a little bit. Walking made my back much worse but it got the swelling in my leg to go down quite a bit which is what I was really worried about. Sometimes you're dammed if you do dammed if you don't.

I also started on the nicotine patch again. I'm going to try and quit. Hopefully phase out all smoking by two weeks then follow the step process of the patch.
Oh my gosh the pain with sciatica, yeah been there , that is so painful, was on some potent medication with that. Not fun. All the best to you.