What Do Think About High Protein Diets ?

wildbirdy

Founding Member
I had one going, was going well for me, but fell off it. This was really working for me but am a very high carb eater. It didn't take much for me to fall off but I did feel better well on it. and I intend to go back on it.

I'm a sucker for carbs too. Give me a good loaf of Italian bread with a stick of butter and I've got dinner. :D I haven't cut carbs completely nor do I think I ever will but I do try and be more mindful of them.

I've heard from quite a few people who have had success with the Atkins diet (no carbs/all protein basically). I question the soundness of eating all that animal fat (bacon and beef mainly) you may loose weight but I wonder if all that meat won't cause other problems like high cholesterol and clogged arteries down the line.

There is nothing wrong with a high protein diet as long as you choose a good protein.

Good choices:
• Soy Protein
• Beans
• Nuts
• Fish
• Skinless poultry
• Low-fat dairy products

You have to still eat your carbs though. For instance you want to cut processed carbs from your diet and choose carbs that are high in fiber. Whole grains, fruits and vegetables.

Some people argue that doing a high protein diet incorrectly can put you at risk for nutritional deficiencies which lead to bad breathe, headaches and sometimes constipation. Sometimes it can worsen kidney function as well.