Are All Fat People Lazy?

Dan The Man

Da Big Guy
Staff member
A common stereotype I hear, read, and see on a regular basis is that you're fat because you're lazy.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this stereotype. I mean sure there are some lazy fat people but I think for most heavy people it's more of a lack of discipline than anything. I used to lack the discipline to get out there and walk whenever the weather was good and I still struggle with having the discipline to make wise food choices all the time.

Sometimes it's a lack of knowledge too. I know when I went to school our nutritional education consisted of talking about the food pyramid for one 45 minute class period in 7th grade. That's it. I'm sure it's different today but how much are you going to learn in one class period? How many of us actually paid attention?

I'd gather that most extremely obese people are that way due to a combination of factors. Lack of discipline/motivation, poor food choices, depression, injuries that make exercising a challenge, etc.

What's your take?

Okay! Am not impressed at this moment, My daughter 's cat cute as he is, a verily good cat. he just deleted what I had typed here. That is the cat on the right of my profile pic. I had my train of thought interrupted by Nelly cat also turning off my computer monitor., and interrupted by call from my Dad. My Dad can be excused since we are on reasonable terms again. He is elderly so, I have an obligation, and I do Love him. Will set whatever I am doing and chat with him.

Due to injury and mobility issues not as easy to exercise. My husband works eleven and half hour shifts of some physical work. People like him when they have days off really don't have the motivation or energy to do a workout. When they have family responsibilities and have to catch on rest for the next four days of eleven and half hour shifts. Doctor are prescribing yoga exercises more now also. For some people this can make a difference in some causes more pain then its worth. Does one really want to workout in a gym where all or most of all the members are mostly lean and just freaking out they may add an ounce of fat if they don't do their daily routine like come on. I am all for balance. And that my friend is personal for everyone. Not all fat people are lazy, I don't believe lazy people exist. I think there is more going on then what is assumed lazy.

Thwarted by the cat! Don't feel bad my cat loves to step on the lighted switch of my surge protector which turns off half my computer stuff (namely my screens, speakers, lamp, etc). I got smart and plugged my tower into the other surge protector that doesn't seem to attract her attention as much so even if she hits the switch I won't lose anything. It's a sad day when have to work to outsmart your cat. :D

My printer has always driven both (previous and current) my cats crazy. The minute it kicks on and the heads move she's all over it like a fat kid on cake. She fights the pages it's spitting out; It's really comical. My new desk has a glass top. She still doesn't understand that I can see her underneath my keyboard shelf playing with my wires.

Anyhow enough about cats I've derailed me own thread -- you'll find I do this all the time it's SOP for me. :D

One of the reasons I brought this up is because it really bothers me that lots of times people automatically assume fat = lazy. It's not always the case. Sometimes it is; I've met some big people that are just plain lazy and it's sad. As for me I'm not lazy. I may not sign up to go out and play softball every week with a local group of guys but that doesn't mean I'm lazy. It means I know my body. I'm not likely to be able to show up every weekend due to arthritis or other commitments so why start something I'm not going to finish. It's the same way I feel about gym memberships. Why sign up if half the times I'm not going to go?

For people who work a lot, I agree with not having the energy to specifically dedicate time for exercise. On one hand I say you have to be committed and dedicate time to it. On the other, I know after a day full of running errands, in and out the car, up and down the stairs, etc. I'm just not physically up to walking a couple miles. So I get that.

It'd be nice if more people just understood that the extra weight puts a lot of extra stress on our bodies so our feet hurt, joints hurt, legs get heavy, etc. Just because I'm not active today doesn't mean I wouldn't like to be. Yes, I'd love to be able to snap my fingers and loose a hundred pounds but that's just not realistic.

Personally, when I was 16, I was fit because I stayed in the gym all the time. As I grew older and became more involved with dating the ladies, I started to pack on more weight. Why? Simply because I was being loved and I wasn't in the gym so often, but I was still exercising. Being fat is not a big deal because sometimes it happens because of our genes and its not our fault, so no, I don't think all fat people are lazy and it's just a quick assumption for other people to judge us.:P

Personally, when I was 16, I was fit because I stayed in the gym all the time. As I grew older and became more involved with dating the ladies, I started to pack on more weight. Why? Simply because I was being loved and I wasn't in the gym so often, but I was still exercising. Being fat is not a big deal because sometimes it happens because of our genes and its not our fault, so no, I don't think all fat people are lazy and it's just a quick assumption for other people to judge us.:p
Pretty much, I agree on the quick assumption thing. Who cares what other people think as long as you're happy with yourself anyhow? :)