Kicking The Habit Aka Quitting Smoking

Dan The Man

Da Big Guy
Staff member
Has anyone here successfully quit smoking? How did you do it?

I quit once for 4 months but went back to it like an idiot. I've set several quit dates then someone aggravates me and I find myself puffing down a cigarette like it's the last thing on earth.

Generally, I'm a pack and a half to 3 pack a day smoker. I practically chain smoke when I'm sitting at the computer - it's just force of habit usually I'm talking to so someone and conversation has always made me smoke more.

I've tried playing games with myself. No more smoking in my bedroom (which is where my office is too), or I'm only going to smoke outside. No smoking in the car, etc. Even when I remove the ashtrays it rarely lasts long. Sooner or later I'm putting my cigarettes out in a cup because I'm to lazy to get up and get an ashtray.

I've tried leaving my cigarettes in another room so I have to interrupt whatever I'm doing to go get one. That helps some until I take two or three back with me *just in case*. Sometimes you're your own worst enemy.

Over the winter I tried the patches but they made me want to smoke more (go figure) and they left a chemical burn on my skin so I ditched them rather quickly.

Whenever I'm not around smokers or am some place I cannot smoke it amazes me that I just don't think about it. I generally don't crave a cigarette until I've been without one for 5-6 hours.

When I seen my doctor in May I told her my plan was to cut down gradually until I can just go cold turkey. I outlined it as such:
  • 1 pack a day for 2 weeks.
  • 15 a day for 1 week.
  • 10 a day for 1 week
  • 5 a day for 1 week.
  • 3 a day for 1 week.
  • 1 a day for 2 weeks - maybe less time.
  • Quit.
Using that method I should be able to quit in 2 months time give or take. My thinking is if I gradually cut down the amount of nicotine I'm consuming when I finally do quit it won't be such a shock to my body and my cravings won't be so bad. It sounds good in theory but a month and a half later I still haven't implemented it. :eek:

I do worry about gaining a little weight back though - they say quitting smoking always puts on 20 pounds. I don't want that to happen so I'm going to have to be extra vigilant.

What are you thoughts on kicking the habit? Any thoughts on my gradually cutting back plan?

Last edited:
I did when I was 18 for about 6 months, then started smoking again at a party. I haven't purchased a pack of newports in almost two months now, but I still smoke a cig here and there. It sucks because I can never have an ecig last me longer than a week or so or it'll die when I don't have any money on me lmao. Quitting smoking is hard as shit.